Pages

Monday, April 18, 2016

5 Ways Dogs Can Act as Siblings to an Only Child

Calling all dog-lovers out there. Has your furry friend helped you through rough times? Made you laugh? Made you cry? Here are five ways my dogs have acted as my brother or sister when I didn't have any siblings to spend my time with growing up as an only child.

1. They were my first friend. 


My parents had a dog named Barnum before I was even born. He was there for me ever since I learned how to crawl. Since I was an only child and was too young to make friends, he was my support system. Literally. He held me up when I was learning to walk. He took on the role of my older sibling and made sure no one messed with me. He was the best big brother I never had.

2. They slept in my bed when I was having bad dreams. 


Since I was an only child, I didn't have anyone's bed to crawl into after I woke up in a panic from a nightmare or heard creaking noises coming from the hallway. Sure, sometimes I would sleep with my mom, but when we got our dog, Pebbles, she was like a younger sibling who understood that sometimes I would get scared or lonely. She always let me cuddle her and let me raise her like she was my little sister.

3. They cheered me on at sporting events. 


Most only children probably understand what it feels like when your teammates or classmates have their whole family show up to competitions or events and you just have your mom and dad there to watch you. Well, Pebbles was always a plus one and came to watch me whenever she could. She took the role of being a supportive sibling and came to cheer me on during my cross country races and let me introduce her to my friends and coaches. 

4. They ate dinner with me when my mom wasn't home. 


When I got older and finally got the freedom to stay home by myself (since I was an only child and never had any older siblings to babysit me), I also had to eat dinner alone from time to time. Luckily, we got a new dog named Tucker who loved to eat with me. I spoiled him every now and then and let him eat candy with me while my mom wasn't home in exchange for his company. He has never failed to be the best dinner date I could ask for. 

5. They sent me off to college and welcome me home every time I come back to visit.


Sadly, Barnum passed away awhile ago, but Pebbles and Tucker have stuck by side unconditionally, just like they were my own brother and sister. No matter how much time passes, nothing ever changes when I finally see them again. Well, besides the fact that they both are usually taller and have gained some weight, but I think that's a normal way to feel when people go awhile without seeing their younger siblings. Then again, I guess I'll never know since I'll always be an only child.

No comments:

Post a Comment