Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Dating Tips from an Only Child: Balancing the Space

"I think we just need some space." 

This is pretty much the last thing that anyone wants to hear in a relationship. Giving one another space usually has a negative connotation in the dating world, but as someone who grew up as an only child, I'm here to tell you otherwise.

Space is a good thing as long as it's balanced well. When I first started dating my boyfriend this was a difficult concept for him to grasp. Growing up as an only child, I've always enjoyed being alone or doing my own thing since that's what I was used to, but it's hard to understand that when you didn't experience the same childhood as I did.

Sure, when you're dating someone and start to really like them or even fall in love with them, you want to spend every second you can get with each other. Trust me, I know that feeling all too well. And as much as being in a long-distance relationship sucks, it has certainly taught my boyfriend and me why it's important to spend some time to yourself.

To be clear, I am definitely NOT recommending that everyone should spend months apart in a long-distance relationship. However, as an only child I can confidently say that it is important that you don't forget to save some of your time to spend on yourself. It's easy to get so wrapped up in loving each other that people sometimes forget to live for themselves too. Being an only child has given me the independence and confidence to stay true to myself and go after my goals even if that means moving to NYC and having to be apart from my boyfriend for a little while.

All I'm saying is you should love each other, but love each other enough to support one another's individual hopes and dreams. Love each other enough to not hold each other back. Don't forget to go out with your co-workers once in awhile, or have dinner with an old friend. Take my word as an only child who is in a long-distance relationship and has actually learned from it, it's important to take a step back from your relationship and spend some time away. After all, it helps you appreciate the special time you do get to spend with each other even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment