Pages

Monday, March 28, 2016

Appreciating your Extended Family

"We. Are. Family. I got all my sisters with me." -said no only child ever.

I guess some songs just don't resonate with everyone the same way. I mean it’s not like I don’t have a family, it’s just that they are in the form of a mom, a dad, aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents. My experience I had with my family growing up as an only child is probably a little different than most people who had siblings. I’m here to tell you how being an only child taught me how to appreciate my extended family more, and why you shouldn’t forget to appreciate yours too.

My aunts, uncles, cousins, grandpa, mom and me on our annual camping trip in 2014

First of all, I’m not saying that just because you have siblings that means you don’t also love your extended family. Although, let’s be honest, I know there are some of you out there that dread making the trek to go visit distant relatives that you only see once a year just to be faced with those awkward conversations about how school is, the fact that you’re still single, or the infamous, “Have you gotten taller or have I just shrunk?!” But, I’m just saying that sometimes when you have other family members in your household it can be easy to forget about your other relatives.

Luckily, being an only child basically forced me into creating a special bond with someone other than my parents and my non-existent brothers and sisters. It also helps that we live within a few hours from one another, but even so, I still get excited every single time I get to see my extended family and I always leave with the same longing feeling of wanting to stay with them forever, and here’s why:

For those of you who don’t know what it’s like, being an only child deprives you of that “blood-related” feeling. Granted, a lot of siblings don’t get along, but no matter what, they still share some of the same traits and usually create some type of bond. They have unexplained things in common and have someone to talk to about similar situations and interests. However, only children rarely get to experience this. The only people in their house they’re blood-related to is their parents, and let’s face it, sometimes that just doesn’t cut it.

It’s just that much cooler to get to spend time with people whom I share so many deeply-rooted characteristics with since I never get to as an only child, especially now that I’ve moved away and barely spend time with my parents.


I cherish the time I get to spend with my aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents because when I’m with them I feel like I’m part of such a close-knit community of people that I click with instantly and who really understand me. Just because you might have siblings to experience this with, don’t forget about those other members of your family tree. Take it from an only child: Someone who learned to appreciate her extended family since, after all, they are pretty much the only family she has.

No comments:

Post a Comment