Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Investing in Relationships 101: Letting go of control

It's my way or the highway.


Letting go of control in relationships is not the easiest thing to do when you're so used to relying on yourself and getting your way. Since I was the only child in my family it's only natural that I was a tad bit spoiled. I was so used to having things go my way and when they didn't it was like World War III. By the time I was in middle school things just shifted from self-entitled to bossy. (I'm totally not proud of this by the way.) But one semi-good thing did come out of my experience. I learned what can happen when you let go of control in a relationship.

When you let go of control, you get to see things from a different perspective. I used to have such a narrow point of view until my best friend Kayla taught me knew things. It got broader when I became close with a group of girls in middle school and high school. And now, after moving to NYC and meeting people from all of the U.S, I've experienced a whole range of perspectives on life. That doesn't mean I have to agree with everyone I encounter, but it's healthy to go about life knowing that there are other ways of thinking and living.

To add on to that, just think of all the things that would be possible if you let go of control and let your relationships play out on their own. If you stopped trying to force things to go according to your plan, you might get to experience an even better plan that you didn't know was possible.

When you let go of control in your relationships it's almost like a weight is lifted off your shoulders. You can relax and go with the flow instead of being constantly frustrated and stubborn. Just think about it. Would you rather be the girl in the blue and white life jacket (Kayla), or the girl in the orange (me)?

No comments:

Post a Comment